MORE NONSENSE

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Enjoy: The Nice Guy is Winning the Race!

The Jim and returned from our date night out to see our favorite comedian from Chelsea Lately, John Caparulo.  We've loved his delivery from the first time we've seen him and have enjoyed seeing some of his older work from the Wild West Comedy Tour and his solo shows on Comedy Central.  He's kinda like the "every man" that you'd just wanna hang out with.  He's the guy you hung out with when you were a kid and you still think is cool now that you've grown up.  I was pretty excited to get to see him in a full dose of comedy and was really not disappointed.

Initially, the Jim was not thrilled that I got what I called the "proctology exam" seats - front and center; but blessedly John does not really do a lot of crowd-interaction comedy.  In fact, there were only a rare amount of times he made eye contact with the audience, but don't let that fool you...he's engaging and will draw you in as he weaves his stories of airline travel (which the Jim and I appreciated since that describes our whole first year of dating), his dog/s, his life now in LA and his roots in Ohio.  I think that's why I appreciate him.  Coming from Pennsylvania, there's a similarity between the Ohio and non-metro PA experience I think.  He's funny, occasionally self-deprecating but not to an annoying degree, and just overall entertaining.

I must admit, when he did make eye contact with myself or another audience member it was based on that mutual moment of recognition that you "get" what he's talking about.  Those moments sealed the deal.  Add to that, he was very open to meeting his fans after the show and snapping some photos.  I must admit, for someone who far more appreciates the hard worker without all the flashy accoutrements, spending time with John Caparulo makes you feel good.  It's nice to see a nice guy who's working hard at his craft and having both fun and success at the same time.  I know that Knoxville isn't the coolest place to be, but you'd think he treated you to an LA show.  I love seeing the good guys finish first.  Bravo John!

No comments:

Post a Comment