MORE NONSENSE

Monday, June 13, 2011

MY 2 CENT REVIEW: Super 8

I would tell you I'm not into sci-fi, but that's not true.  I guess I'm just tired of overused dramatic themes meant to add "heart" to a situation.  I find what I call "the dead mother" theme a bit trite.  I understand that it's a huge life changer (from experience, yes I know), but wouldn't it be just as interesting to follow the dramatic turn of a group of kids who are dealing with their town turned upside down by a strange monster thingy without the addition of the "dead mother" plot line? I feel it's a ploy a lot of storyteller's use to tug at our heartstrings without really reaching for something unique and just as heart-tug-worthy.

While a lot of people have indicated much love for SUPER 8, I didn't hate it but I didn't LOVE it either. A lot of people said it was a return to fine form for Steven Spielberg and it reminded them of his older movies.  Yeah...that was part of the problem for me.  A touch of ET, a smattering of CLOSE ENCOUNTERS with the big bang boom of J. J. Abrams.  The cast was well chosen and the kids endearing (especially because they're part of the nerdy future-film makers variety).  All in all, it was a nice way to spend a few hours - but much like I felt about the TITANIC...I won't see it again anytime real soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment