MORE NONSENSE

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Wrecka-Stows Today!


How timely for me to re-enter into the blogosphere than on the annual retro-fabulous Record Store Day?  Well amongst our travels today included a stop at 2 of the fine actual brick and mortar establishments that still purvey the tactile experience of purchasing music.  While I have a small thorn of hipster fear that makes me nervous about being around vinyl these days, I am always within the walls of a record store on the day that celebrates a on-going, but struggling means of commerce in our world of digital downloads and iPods.

I traveled with the husby hoping to score the "Tebowie" release from LNJF but ended up with a 45 of one of my FAVORITE, McCartney tunes "Another Day".  So unexpected score!  Jim didn't leave with anything other than a t-shirt celebrating our local-record store.  I must admit I was excited to purchase my first 45 in over 10 years though...which made me think...

What was your first record purchase?  Not the first record you remember, the first one you actually bought with your own money?  I remember both my first 45 and 33 purchases: "Goody Two Shoes" by Adam Ant and "Built for Speed" by the Stray Cats (the later album I got in trouble with because of the word "Hell" in one of the songs, little did my Mom know but I had a borrowed copy of Prince's 1999 in my room with FAR worse lyrics).  There was a true joy in getting a 33 album and being able to read the back, hang the album art on your wall and the initially pristine condition of the inner album condom.  I'm just glad to know that the interest is still around in general and the crowds were out in full-force which brought a smile to my heart and soul.

If you're looking in the greater Knoxville area for some all senses experience of music here are my recommendations:
1) The Disc Exchange (our friend Paula works there and it's a one stop-shop experience).
2) Lost and Found Records (it's our neighborhood record store and carries more vinyl than anything).
3) Raven Records (haven't been but have heard good things).
4) McKays (hit or miss based on what CDs and vinyl people have sold to pay their electric bill this month - plus I'm kind of staying far, far away from McKay's since I lost my first iPad there - boo).



No comments:

Post a Comment