MORE NONSENSE

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Road Trips, Giant Bugs, Inspiration and Glitter in the Music City

Okay, if you don't already know this...I'm a fan of burlesque and vaudeville entertainment.  So, this Friday and Saturday, I ended going up on a fairly impromptu "glitter-filled" road trip with my friends Kisa and Delinda to see a wonderful burlesque personality and emcee, Miss Astrid Von Vooomer shepherd us through an evening of celebrating 8 years of Panty Raid burlesque performances in Nashville, Tennessee.  I was introduced to the character of Miss Astrid by Kisa as she's been very much influenced as a performer by this divine woman from NYC.  My personal burlesque inspiration is the woman who inspires and awes so many fans and fellow burlesque people, Dirty Martini...but the more I've learned about the performance art of burlesque and neo-burlesque, the more I've learned about Miss Astrid.  I knew, before rubber hit the road for this trip that I really wanted to know more, to see more and learn more about this artist who plays to full hilt, the Austrian power woman who's eye-patch and craft of character development.  I wanted to see her in action, in her 'element'.

I must say, I was sincerely impressed by Miss Astrid, and her adept ability to get you through a show with razor sharp wit, clever quickness and an amazing ability to play off her crowd and her fellow performers.  She's a solid  and well developed character on stage, with a presence that commands attention.   However, much like my amazing meeting of my hero (Dirty Martini), what impressed me the most about her was her genuinely warm reception of her fans and appreciation for fellow performers on their own personal/professional journeys.  She greeted the three of us fans with a warm hand and a sizzlingly flirtatious attitude and put up with our questions and our attempts to appear cool while basking in her glory.  

It was my first time seeing a Panty Raid Burlesque performance, and I must say I was impressed by a fair number of the performances.  Lots of wonderfully creative performance artists who are really doing a beautiful job of pushing forward neo-burlesque and the empowering elements of skewering societal norms.  My only critique was that the production was fairly heavy on the belly dance performances which I feel were a nice addition to an evening of variety framed as a burlesque show; but those belly dancers who did perform were really quite good.  It was a nice mix of entertainment and I highly recommend you checking out a group of male performers who call themselves, Bro-lesque.  Fantastic!

The main focus of the trip was the show but a great side bonus of hanging out in Nashville was visiting with the sublime, Freya West and photographer, Stephanie of La Photographie Nashville (another photographer genius I've met recently).  There are such vibrant people doing wonderful art in this world.  Intelligent, unapologetic women who are forging their own path in this world and are pairing their dreams with their work and finding joy in the process. It's just nice to be able to sit and talk with them, and my fellow performing friends Kisa and Delinda.  To be able to trade stories, inspiration and ideas always helps to recharge my batteries as a performer; and eating brunch at Ellendale's was a wonderfully grand addition to my day (if you live in Nashville and haven't had the Ellendale's brunch...YOU MUST).

In fact this, brief trip was nearly perfect in many ways:

  • it wasn't an expensive trip at all, 
  • I was introduced to an INSANELY amazing place called Performance Studios where I managed to purchase a few prop items for future performances will go back numerous times with a shopping list, 
  • I got to eat at another Nashville favorite of mine "Cinco de Mayo" in Hermitage, 
  • I got to experience "Ugly Mug" coffeehouse in the incredible East Nashville (which I would love to live in if we were back living in Nashville);

and if I had to complain about anything I'd have to say the only things that were negative or stressful was that we were there in the middle of a cicada outbreak (which I really did not like at all).  I will save that for another post though.

For anyone curious about the art form of burlesque don't waste your time on the Cher movie (it's enjoyable, but not really burlesque...sorry Charlie), I really encourage you to find a production/troupe in your area.  Whether they are performing tributes to the classic artists and legends of the past, or breaking ground with the push of neo-burlesque...there are an amazing amount of brave, bawdy, talented, teasing, intelligent, indescribable, clever, classy, whipsmart, witty, entertaining and evolved performers out there carrying on a tradition of entertainment that is certainly not for everyone, but if you're willing to be dared to step outside your comfort zone - you might find something that you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment