MORE NONSENSE

Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Monotony of Monty...Python That Is

I cannot believe what I'm about to write right now.  I've been a Monty Python fan for over 20 years and I still absolutely adore the gents and beauty that make them a sweet sampling of sketch comedy genius...but I'm now coming to terms with aging as a Python-fan.  The existential MP crisis has occurred as a result of going to see the musical production of "SPAMALOT" that just finished it's brief touring stop here in Knoxville.  I know the premise builds upon "The Holy Grail" film and mixes the old with new humor...so I was prepared for anything and frankly had fewer expectations that I normally do.  Sadly, I left the theater feeling flat; and that, my dear friends was far from what I thought would happen.

I found Monty Python after a late night at age 15.  I was watching MTV which used to show primarily music videos (remember that?), and occasionally late in the evenings they would present a British comedy to just shake things up a bit.  I had already been introduced to and become a fan of "The Young Ones"...so I was game to see what else the Brits could deliver.  When VJ Mark Goodman announced that late night, that "Monty Python's Flying Circus" was coming up next - I immediately went to the literal thoughts.  "Oh, is this going to be like 'Circus of the Stars'?" I had no idea.  Understandably as the opening portion of John Phillip Sousa's march entitled "The Liberty Bell" played, I was really confused.  There were no trapeze artists or recognizable stars.  In fact, the show was "old" and as a teenager, at first blush I didn't appreciate that.  However, as the show progressed and I waited for someone to tame a lion or walk a tightrope;  I found myself laughing and becoming more engrossed in these funny British gentlemen and their seemingly both silly and surreal humor.  After the "penguin on the telly" sketch.  I was officially hooked. 100%.  I was a Python-fan; and I did, what most fans of Python do.  I overdosed.

Over the years that followed, I watched every episode of The Flying Circus I could (often multiple times).  I would go down to my local Mom and Pop video rental shop and check out every film that the troupe had to offer.  I started with "Life of Brian", then "The Holy Grail", "And Now for Something Completely Different" followed by what was to become my favorite Python film of all time, "The Meaning of Life."  I had their instant record collection and proudly marched around my parent's home singing "Sit on My Face" because I found it salacious, silly and so much fun.  As a non-rebellious (much), girl...Python was intelligent, hilarious  and bawdy at times.  Perfect!

I could quote and riff a routine like a pro from age 16 through age 26.  I read every book, as they experienced a resurgence and I learned everything I could about each individual player within the troupe.  I became particularly enchanted with Michael Palin and had a fondness for Eric Idle that had nothing to do with his looks.  In some ways, Python did for me what they did for George Harrison of the Beatles.  They came along at a time in my life that was depressing and confusing, and they really made me not take life seriously and helped me laugh a lot.  I needed them back then, and they really gave me far more than the amount of money I spent on anything they could produce.  As much as I lament past relationships, they did serve a purpose in introducing me to good people and I appreciate the connections I made as a fan of MP.  They really can bring people together and they still do.

This time, however, they brought us together with a number of Knoxvillians in the grand, Tennessee Theater for a night of Python produced fun (well, mostly Eric Idle produced fun), and I was sadly...disappointed.  Perhaps it was because it lacked some of the surrealism or genuine punch of the Flying Circus sketches.  It was still intelligent, but more mass-marketable...it was, for me...bland.  So many people brought young children, which confused me like it did when I went to see "The Kids in the Hall" at the Tower Theater in Philly.  Do these people not realize, this is going to get a little risque or vulgar?  I mean, that's part of the Python appeal.  Sure enough, they delivered a few cringe worthy moments that parents may have to answer questions about, but for the most part I found all the children fidgety and overly stimulated.  On top of that, was the tradition of people reciting the familiar lines over and over and over; which, when you're trying to enjoy a production that is already difficult to hear due to some lack-luster sound - just make it more...eh.

Don't get me wrong, there were a couple of great zingers in the show and they even brought in the element of troublesome local politics here in Knoxville (which got applause from the Jim); but seeing this made me realize that I like PYTHON.  The PYTHON.  I like John Cleese, Graham Chapman, Terry Jones, Eric Idle, Terry Gilliam, Michael Palin and the wonderful Carol Cleveland.  I like that occasionally they re-tread over familiar territory for us fans.  I like more that they tell their story now, and make us feel more involved in their former process.  However, Python is best (and I still love them deeply), when they are freshest to us as a viewer.  When you're first delving into the world of MP, it's all so wacky and new that you feel just like you did when you started dating that super cute, witty, skinny boy that you met outside of your British Literature class.  He's charming and foreign, and you wanna know more.  As an older Python fan, you become more like the old married couple...you start to grow weary of the same stories your significant other tells you over and over again and you just hope that occasionally there will be some addition to the mix that will spice it all up again.

While perchance, the original SPAMALOT cast of Tim Curry, David Hyde Pierce and more may have helped add that rush of adrenaline, for the most part I found myself entertained but ready to go home for a nice pot of Piston Engine soup.  Perhaps, I'm just getting old and daft like one of the Pepperpot ladies.  If so, I need a nap.  In the meantime, I will go and watch the originals, younger, bolder and full of spunk as they did their early craft to confuse those as the BBC.  I think perhaps in my MTV-conditioned ADD state, I prefer their sketch comedy which was what the original show was all about and was heavily featured in "The Meaning of Life", much like I like Stephen King's short stories.  I like bite-sized entertainment, being tickled by a television-based tapas of talking twits. So, in reflecting back, I think I'll crack open an episode of The Flying Circus my friends and return to that original feeling of wild abandon.  Who knows...it might inspire you live with more silliness, surreality and, well, "you know what I mean, nudge nudge."

4 comments:

  1. I love the Holy Grail movie but this was the PBS version.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the alliteration, "...tickled by a television-based tapas of talking twits...".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am an unhealthy alliteration junkie...or an ample alliteration addict, again and again?

    ReplyDelete