MORE NONSENSE

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Art Isn't Easy...

Wow...this long weekend has already been a whirlwind of hub-bub at our house.  I should mention, that both the Jim and I are artists amongst the things we do 9 to 5 (well, the Jim actually has a 9 to 5 that utilizes his artistic talents - LUCKY DUCK).


Yesterday, I nursed myself to sub-par health in preparation for a performance with the insanely talented troupe, Salome' Cabaret who have done quite an amazing job of spearheading the resurgence of neo-burlesque here in Knoxville.  If you haven't seen a show and want to step out of your comfort zone and into the glittery world, I highly recommend you attend a burly-q show in your area (there's been quite a renaissance over the past few years so you may have a group in your town and not even know it).  For those who need a small tutorial, allow me to illuminate via WIKIPEDIA "Neo-Burlesque (or "New Burlesque") is the revival and updating of the traditional burlesque performance. Though based on the traditional Burlesque art, the new form encompasses a wider range of performance styles; Neo-burlesque acts can be anything from classic striptease to modern dance to theatrical mini-dramas to comedic mayhem. As with the earlier burlesque, neo-burlesque is more focused on the "tease" in "striptease" than the "strip". Audiences for neo-burlesque shows tend to be mixed gender, age, race, and class. As an artist, I find the troupe to be a great source of mutual inspiration and help to workshop new ideas, trends and performance art pieces (what I call a lot of what I do with them).  My "character" has only been in existence since August of 2010 and I find her branching out into territory that I don't know if I as a dancer ever would have ever approached.  That's the nice thing about having an alter-ego, they can allow you to explore all sides of yourself.  


Anyway, I was a little dubious about the show last night, as I was reprising a former piece (my silly rendition of AN AMERICAN IN PARIS), but I was planning to finally put myself "out" there as a solo singer for the first time as a real possibility option to add to my performing life.  I'm a self-styled jazz singer, an adept alto who's been happy to perform as a singer in company theatre productions over my life in performing.  However, as I am starting to work with an amazing cabaret singer and songwriter, Chicago's own: Sarah Motes Ashley.  I have a way to go in terms of fully embracing my range and trusting my voice, but last night I was prepared to leave it on the stage (tackling a song higher than my comfort-range, nasally or strained due to my sinus infection...with a back up plan to go full SHATNER if needed).  Even with an initial microphone that didn't work, and a clogged ear issue that just worsened through out the night, I got through my first SOLO singing performance in decent form.  It was an off night for me, but I got through it! (I've actually sang two additional times as a soloist for an audience, but not as a PERFORMER per se...for wedding and funerals, lots of time spent in the chorus and happily there).


Mostly, I'm glad that I did it...and hope to do it again as I work on becoming a hopeful cabaret singer (one of my secret dreams).  So, as I write this - my sinuses are fully stuffed, but I feel more secure because the first time is behind me.  I actually hope to audition for my MOST beloved musical of all times coming up in July...I'm hopeful to get a small ancillary role but focusing on improving and learning more in the next few months.  I have a lot of work to do, to improve on many different levels but I feel that with hard work, determination and a little inspiration I can really start to feel more vital in my performances.  Excited about the journey.


Simultaneously, way across town at the House of Retro-Moderns, the Jim (due to an inability to tolerate smoke), was enlisted by a great group of filmmaker/performers to come up with some potential thematic music for a production that was in HURRIED production as he's helping some people involved with Knoxville's first 24 Hour Film Festival.  We have no idea since he's helping with ancillary post-production what the film looks like but we hope it went well. I believe it has to be done and submitted in the next few hours.  He was up till 3 AM composing random bits of potential music to accompany "ideas" that were presented.  What a challenge...but I fell asleep on the couch to random music coming from the studio.  I'm still in awe that he can just come up with stuff on the fly.  I have no idea.  I'm also excited an blessed to be working with him on an upcoming television project that is sure to be...different, to say the least!  


It's nice to be in an artsy household for sure, but goodness the old line from the Sondheim musical of my heart is true, "Art isn't easy".

No comments:

Post a Comment